Powered by Blogger.

Beat it, creep!

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Lately I've been intrigued by the 1950s greaser girl aesthetic in which women were just starting to appropriate what had been traditionally masculine elements as part of their outfits. I've made similar moodboards in the past, however, without the mugshots these *bad girl vibes* are less explicit. The female characters in John Waters movies who dress feminine but are either tough or trashy or both have also been a source of inspiration. Shot outs to Wanda Woodward for having the most bomb hair throughout Cry-Baby! The commonality across the broad spectrum of fashions which emerged during this decade was impeccably styled hair. I'm in desperate need for a change with my own do' but I'm a little stuck for ideas. Ultimately the most influential factor will be how my haircut will affect later outfit posts and how I express personal style, but for now I am content to be stuck in this informative period. Hair dye is also a possibility in terms of a personal transformation, hence all the photos of Tavi hanging out with cool older girls.

1 & 2- Dorothy Bradley (left), photographed for LIFE magazine by Martha Holmes. 3- unknown. 4- Tessa for The Pulp Zine. 5- Tavi Gevinson. 6 & 7- unknown. 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22- Sixteen and Spring via Style Rookie. 10- North Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills street in the 1950s. 12- Photo by Joseph Sterling, Stephen Daiter Gallery. 13- unknown. 15- via vintagedressups.17 & 19- unknowns.

Pages

 

Most Reading